Joseph Roy Moore

Joseph Roy Moore, son of Jack Roy and Iantha Mary (Wyrick) Moore, was born on January 8, 1949 in Porterville, California, and departed this life on August 4, 2013 at his home near Mtn. Grove, Missouri, following a courageous battle with cancer. He was 64 years, six months, and 27 days of age.

Joe and family lived in Fresno, California, in his early childhood. While in elementary school, the family returned to the Mountain Grove area to take over a family farm on Highway M near Dunn, Missouri.

Joe attended Mountain Grove High School, graduating in 1967. Joe had memories of making hay, working in gardens, picking blackberries, and milking cows on this farm. The money Joe earned milking cows was used to buy a motorcycle. Joe enjoyed riding the motorcycle alone or with friends, exploring many country roads and highways. Joe remembered being able to ride his motorcycle all day for 25 cents worth of gasoline. Joe also enjoyed doing mechanic work on motorcycles.

In high school, Joe was a member and president of Math and Science Club, enjoyed Industrial Arts Club, and was invited to and joined Key Club. Joe won science fair competitions at the local and state level for his projects.

Joe attended the University of Missouri-Rolla, graduating in 1972 with a bachelor’s degree in computer science, a relatively new choice of degree at the time. While in college, Joe worked during the summers as a team leader of the National Forest Service.

Joe worked as a computer systems programmer in Kansas City, Missouri, and Morristown, Tennessee, before settling into his favorite computer job, working for McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Corporation in St. Louis, Missouri, and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Joe lived “like a country boy” while in St. Louis, investing money in stocks and rental properties in Mountain Grove. In the ‘80s, Joe started his own corporation, Knowledge Base Methodology, Incorporated. After working long enough at McDonnell Douglas to have his retirement vested, and enough rentals and stock dividends to support himself, Joe returned to Mountain Grove to live in 1986.

Joe started a Christmas tree farm and honey business on acreage he owned north of Mountain Grove and enjoyed planting hundreds of pine trees with his father, Jack. The Christmas trees were sold in Mountain Grove, Marshfield, and other area towns.

Joe became friends with Rev. Jim McQueen and attended Trinity United Methodist Church. Joe met Rebecca Sue Squirell at Trinity. He was baptized and joined the church in September of 1987, and he and Becky were married on October 10, 1987. Joe and Becky lived their entire marriage on the Dove Mountain place where Joe had planted the Christmas trees and had his beehives.

Joe wrote software for Knowledge Base Methodology while Becky taught school at Manes Elementary School. Joe enjoyed raising a big garden with Becky, trying out all sorts of garden varieties. He also did substitute teaching at Manes School and helped out by judging the science fair, teaching a woodworking class, and chaperoning school activities.

Joe attended Trinity United Methodist Church with Becky. He became president of the Methodist Men organization and helped Becky with her Sunday school class and church youth group trips.

On October 17, 1990, Becky gave birth to Joe’s daughter, Sarah Ann Moore. Joe was present in the birthing room at Mansfield Hospital and was the first to hold Sarah after medical staff. Sarah was Joe’s pride and joy. He gave up Knowledge Base Methodology and cared for her through her infancy while Becky was at school. He did feedings, diaper duty, and all laundry. Joe used a baby carrier to take Sarah to the mailbox on nice days and carried her in a backpack carrier to put in gardens until she was big enough to help. Sarah and Joe enjoyed rock hunting trips and cave exploration. Sarah also enjoyed higher level thinking discussions with her dad. Joe’s office in the Moore home is decorated with Sarah’s artwork and awards.

Shortly after Sarah’s birth, the family began attending Norwood United Methodist Church. Pastor Ura Hardin asked Becky to take over music at the church since they had no piano player. When Ura had to be gone on Sunday mornings, Joe assisted by taking Ura’s place in the pulpit.

When Sarah reached her teenage years, the Moore family returned to Trinity. Around this time, Joe retreated from life outside the home and was no longer often seen at activities and events in the community, preferring the peace of Dove Mountain in the company of his family and music.

In 2012, doctors discovered Joe had stage four colon cancer that had also spread to his liver and lymph nodes. Joe received chemotherapy and surgery in an attempt to control the cancer. The community of friends and family surrounding the Moore family rose up to assist them in caring for Joe. In June 2013, Joe was placed in the care of Becky and the staff of Hospice Compassus. He remained under their care until he passed away peacefully in his sleep at home early Sunday morning, August 4, 2013.

Memorial services will be held on Friday, August 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. in Trinity United Methodist Church of Mtn. Grove under the direction of Craig-Hurtt Funeral Home. Pastor Fred Royer will be the speaker. Congregational songs led by Karen Binkley, accompanied by organist Rev. Jay Frost, will be “Holy, Holy, Holy,” “Faith Of Our Fathers,” and “Fairest Lord Jesus.”

Leave a Comment